Sunday, July 21, 2013

Getting off the Trach

So, I have this tube sticking out of my throat - which causes me pain each time I move, and my nerves are on fire, which causes my skin to hurt anytime someone comes near me.  I have tubes sticking out from several places., and IV plugs in several places.

Each time something was removed was a step in the right direction.

The tracheostomy caused some complications, but overall, having the procedure done became the turning point in my recovery. 

I was still on the respirator, but each day, the respiratory therapist tested me, and my lungs were getting stronger each day.  I was able to get off the respirator a day earlier than expected. 

About a week after the tracheostomy, a plug was replaced and I was asked to speak.  I was able to do so.  One of trhe first things I said was, "I'm hungry."  After that, I was tested to make sure my body still knew how to swallow correctly - that the food would go down the esophogus to my stomach, and not the windpipe to my lungs.  I passed this test also.

Once I got transferred to the rehabilitation unit, I was told that if I could maintain my breathing while wearing a different cap.  I would be scheduled to have the tracheostomy tube removed.  I would have passed this test, but I started bleeding out of the throat, and removal was delayed.  A week later, I was tested again, and I passed.  By this time, however, I had also been taken off respiratory therapy, and my coughing fits had become rare.

So, several events took place before the tube was removed: 1. I was taken off the repirator, 2. I learned to eat solids, 3. I had to be able to breathe easy with a different cap placed on the tracheostomy tube.

It took a few days for the positive effects to manifest, but it does seem to mark my turnaround in condition.  I spent most of my hospital stay with the tube inserted into my throat - inconvenient an all, but worth having the procedure done.

No comments:

Post a Comment