Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Dreams

It took about a month and a half after I fell ill to remember my dreams.  I had two recurring dreams.  One was that I dreamed I was in the hospital, paralyzed from the waist down, and unable to walk - then I would wake up and realize that wasn't a dream.  In the other dream, I would be running, and feeling good that I was able to run again; then I would wake up, see the bed rail, and know that I was still in the hospital, unable to walk.

In December, two days before Christmas, i had a dream that one of my friends visited me at my parent's house.  It was time for her to go home, and I offered to walk her to her car.  "That's all right," she said.  "No, I can do it," I replied.  When we reached the car, I said, "See, not even a limp."

Last night, I had two dreams - one in which I walked with a cane, and one in which I ran without a cane, and the dream had no mention that I ever walked with one. 

It seems my dreams have evolved. The early ones represented my denial of my inability to walk.  Then, it was confidence that I would walk again, normally.  Now, it seems that I accept my less than normal walk, but confident that I will be able to run again without any signs that I was once confined to a wheelchair, or needed the aid of a cane to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment