Monday, August 12, 2013

Pool Therapy

I don't know how to swim, but pool therapy was a reason for one of my most joyous moments during my recovery.

My legs and feet became strong enough a few weeks after leaving the hospital to have some sessions in the pool.  I had already done a session with the parallel bars, and the therapist thought I'd benefit from the pool.

By this time, I could stand up for about 2 seconds without support on a hard surface, but the bouancy of the water made it easier for me to stand.

In order to get into the pool, I had to be transferred onto a bench. That was easy enough.  The bench was lifted over the water. The pool was 4 feet deep. But the bench was above the water. And when I looked down, it seemed to be a deep drop.  And not knowing how to swim - even though I knew I would not drown, I was scared out of my wits to jump into the water.

Once in the water, though, was hard work and pure joy.  Joy because of what I was able to accomplish for the first time since falling ill - to stand and even walk without much trouble.  I was able to stand for a long period of time, albeit holding onto the rails, but I was also able to let go of the rails for measurable lengths of times - say more than a few seconds.

What really made me happy was that using a rail that went across the width of the pool, I was able to walk the width of the pool and back.  Then, in a later session, I was able to do this in the 3 feet part of the pool, where the surface was harder.

I had two sessions in the pool at the hospital, and haven't been in one since.  But, these sessions really boosted my confidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment